Sunday 13 March 2011

Morag tries to launch herself into blogdom

Kiaora,
Morag MacAulay.
I am a midwifery lecturer at Otago Polytech in Dunedin, South Island, New Zealand, South Pacific.
We delliver our programme as a blended package of online tuts and moodles, face to face SPF groups and Intensives, self directed learning and clinical practice. This programme means students and their families can stay in their communities for alot of their study. It means we can deliver into rural and off sight communities. It's pretty cool. And Otago Polytech is continuing to graduate excellant midwives.

I think any Online facilitation will help increase my capability in the distance learning world in which I now work. I don't think it's going to give me everything I am looking for - but I think it offers me some 
pieces. Many of the students know how to use alot of these tecnology's already. I am catching up.
I don't want to be afraid to use things like twitter and bloggs. I want to use them safely - protecting my privacy, without becoming a techno recluse. I expect that the increased confidence will become evident as I modify and rebuild moodle modules - becoming more interactive, increased variety in learning tools...

3 comments:

  1. Hi Morag

    Great post which just about sums up the feelings of a lot of people, whether they are teachers or not. I think there is a tension between privacy yet getting out there and connecting is a very serious one, and I am sure this will come up as we go along. Have you had any thoughts about how you will manage this tension?

    cheers Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Morag,

    I'm responding to Sarah's Twitter request to support you by commenting. I learned how to collaborate online by doing just that - posting in my blog, asking others to respond, and keeping the conversation happening. I had to think differently about language choices, and levels of privacy. Good on you for making a start! Simon Brown, Brisbane.

    ReplyDelete